Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanks! I'm fun!

I had one of those dreaded experiences. The one where you quickly walk away and not look anyone in the eye. Yet deep down inside I was laughing at myself - because it was pretty funny.

Last week I was hanging out with the Bethel Edmonton CRC team that has had an unofficial church partnership with the communities of Chinandega for 6 years now. They are a very active church that is just plain excited about worshipping God through serving others and being with the people they have grown to love in Chinandega. I went with the famous Alma and the experienced Andrea. Both of them have led many, many teams to experience Nicaragua in it's beauty and pains as well encourage growth in the lives of many Christians. It was so good to learn from them this past week.

The team spent the week on the construction site, hanging out with kids and teaching women how to take care of themselves and their children. Along with that the team went into many homes to pray with families and share Christ's love. I had a few favourite times, one which included going to the community of El Limonel to hang out with the beautiful kids while the nurses spoke with the moms about health stuff. Maria Saeli (a missionary here) had a children's picture Bible with her that she let me use. So I held the book open and the kids excitedly chorused out the stories to me. They sure taught me a few things about sounding out words properly! Next we handed out colouring books and crayons while calling out "patience!" and "sit down!" I have never seen 65 kids so quite and content as those kids were colouring away on concrete picnic tables.

For me, this was a good time of reflection on my values, thoughts and beliefs and a time for me to step into my role of healthy church partnership facilitator. What does this all mean?? I enjoyed picking peoples brains and hearing what they all thought about the whole church partnership thing. I am excited to learn more and hopefully contribute in a meaningful way to this program. There are a couple more churches sending teams down in the new year that are leaning towards partnerships...including our home church!...so I am looking forward to working with them and the Nicaraguan communities they will be spending time with.



Soooo...about that dreaded experience...it also happened to be a part of a favourite experience I had. On the last day in Chinandega I had to go pick up an important document from the bus terminal. The pastor of the community said he would drive me back on his motor bike! I was pumped! I happened to not be dressed for the occasion as it was the only time I had donned a skirt the whole trip, BUT, that wasn't about to stop me and I hopped on the bike behind him. We zipped through the streets as I held on for dear life to the bike and to the envelope. Almost back to our destination I am prepping myself as to what I was going to say to the pastor. This was going to be good. The pastor being only a spanish speaker this was my opportunity to get a conversation going. We came to a stop, I hop off and say with a big smile "Gracias! Estoy divertido!" My grand exit... However, it didn't come out at all like I had prepped for. English = "Thanks! I am fun!" The pastor started laughing and I immediately realized what I said. I quickly turned around and booked it for the small house that was awaiting my arrival.

I shake my head.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Motor bikes and Kids make for a great day. So what if your language skills were a little off, he had a good laugh. Enjoy! They understand your just learning.

Roy V

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

You are fun and you had fun. Languages are so much fun. Love reading your blog, keep up the great work. FYI - it is cold and there is snow here now. Enjoy your warm winter. Aunt Caroline

Jessica Côté said...

You ARE fun! Fun to be around, and reading your blog often makes me smile. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

unfortunate..but not as bad as we thought it was going to be. we were definitely betting on something happening to your skirt.. look on the bright side.. it could have been worse... :)
Love Steph and Denise