Sunday, November 23, 2008

To the Coast and Back


It's Sunday night and I have just returned from Chinendage where I spent the day with April and the team she is co-leading. It has also now been two days since I have returned from my 4 x 4 adventure to Puerto Cabezes and back.

For those who don't already know, on December 30 there will be a Sea to Sea bick ride in Nicaragua raising funds to support those severly still affected by Hurricane Felix of last year. Not to repeat too much of it I encourage you all to check out that blog at bikenica.wordpress.com . It is gearing up to be a fun adventure. One of the rewarding parts of being an organizer for this event is that I was able to go along with Dave Stienstra in a trip mapping out our stops and places of interest. This turned into an adventure of a lifetime. We had a Toyota Hilux 4 x 4 quad cab pickup that we booted over some of the worst roads I have seen, through rivers, around major sink holes in the highways, and through many little villages.

This was good in so many different ways. It allowed me a chance to get to know Dave, whom I will be working with rather closely while I am here at the Nehemiah Centre, but it also gave me the opportunity to speak a fair amount of Spanish, see God's beautiful creation and how he diversifies even the littliest of countries. This trip was for me a time to renew my mind and spirit in preparation for the times ahead working here in Managua.



Oh ya and by the way we also pulled a guy out of the mud with our truck, saw a bus topple over on the highway, and pulled our way across a river on a cable barge becuase the motor was broken. And for those who are interested it is a 12.5 hour trip (one way) with an average speed of 45 km/h due to the poor road conditions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

4X4 and then some...
You guys are have too much fun to call this mission trip of any sort!!

I think you are just on a vacation down there.....
What do you have to say about that?

Roy V.

The Voorbergs said...

You know that is partly right! We are having so much fun. It has been incredible to experience all we have, doing what God has called us to do.

Most people, previously including myself , think of missions as hard thankless work. I have sinced learned that whenever and where ever you do God's will for you life, its about as much fun as you can have!

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hi you guys, remember me...........that's right, it is Janette. I have been lacking to write you and encourage you in the work you do. By reading your blog, all seems good, having fun learning a lot etc. Men the ash boarding is totally cool, AWESOME.
HAve a good one, and I wil lsee if i can sneak some Dropjes in Lynn her suitcase before she leaves to do that CRAZY bike ride.

Love and hugs
Janette H.

Anonymous said...

Kev! That sounds awesome! glad you had some time to renew your mind a bit too...I love reading the updates!

Mike

Anonymous said...

kev, that sounds awesome! I hope that it all goes well with the sea to sea... im sure it will :)

ps I just voted... SHAVE your head! Paul just did this past weekend (after 1 and a half years of nagging... :S) haha but seriously you will not regret it!!!aaaand even if you do, it will grow back fast enough :) miss and love you both :)

alli olthof