Thursday, November 20, 2008

Cerro Negro

One Saturday we went ashboarding down a volcano, Cerro Negro, with some of the Dordt students that are here in Leon. We were just getting geared up for the rough winter ahead...

If you have ever been tobogganing down a snowy hill (that is "sled-riding" for my sister-in-law, Charity) then you have an idea of what it might be like to go ashboarding down a volcano...with a few exceptions.

Well, first of all this volcano is HUGE - at 400 mteres you can hit speeds of up to 70 km/hr down this thing; secondly when you fall, it's not a soft landing. When you go sled-riding you wear a snowsuit because it's cold. When you go ashboarding you wear an orange prison-like jumpsuit to protect your body from the volcanic rock if you fall off the board. A bit different.

The view from the top is absolutely gorgeous and although it was quite the trip I am not sure I want to climb up that thing again, at least not lugging a big ash board with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow that must have been fun but scary. I think I will stick to the snow!! We had our first snowfall yesterday in southern Ontario. Take care and keeping posting updates - love to read them and see your videos. Aunt Caroline

Anonymous said...

Wow, That looks like fun! I would love to try that.
April looks very pretty in Volanic grey.
Nice video...

Luv U

Roy V