Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Holding Out For A Bribe

Picture this: you've just finished groceries and a nice lunch at a local cafe with your wife. You pull out of the parking lot and head back to work. Not more than 100 meters down the road a police officer stands in the middle of the road signalling you to pull over. At the exact moment you see him you realize you have left your wallet, containing your licence, in your desk at work. If you need to change your pants after imagining that then you understand how I felt this afternoon.

At around 2:30pm today I was pulled over for a routine check only to have it exposed that I was driving without a licence on me. Not only did I not have my Canadian licence I did not have any identification, such as a passport. There were five police officers at this certain checkpoint, and nothing seemed out of sorts at first. The officer was not happy to find that I was without identification but he neither seemed all that upset. He asked where I was from and seemed interested and intrigued that I was from Canada and lived close to Toronto. It wasn't until he called over another officer, the English speaking one (well he spoke English as much as I speak Spanish), that I was asked to pull the car completely off the road, turn it off, and accompany the officer into the road-side station. I can officially say that this is when the old knees started clacking together.

All the while April has a small grin on her face thinking this will be a good experience to blog about – a real run in with the law, not just being pulled over because you crossed a line that was there 2 years ago. This was going to be a good one.

The room which I was brought into was small and contained only an old desk and a chair which had cardboard for cushions. I was asked if I spoke any Spanish, to which I answered, “si, pero solo un poco”, to which the officer said he would then try to continue in English. It was there in that little office at that moment when I heard him say “We are going to have to bring you downtown, where you will wait in prison. Your car will be held until you can be properly charged for driving without a licence, to which you will have to also pay the fine of 1000 cordobas” ($50.00 american dollars). Okay, so the knees were shaking before and now came the cold sweats – this is something when it’s a blasting 35 degrees Celsius outside. I tried to plead my case, playing all the cards at my disposal – the tourist, the first time offender, the volunteer, the missionary, everything!

Meanwhile, April is outside sitting in the car watching other cars and trucks being pulled over (by now she had turned the car back on so she could have a/c in the blasting sunshine). She is calling Steve to tell him what is happening and if he could find Kevin’s wallet.

He looked at me and smiled a little, but said that he couldn't just let me go, there needed to be something done. I asked if there were any other options to avoid being hauled away in handcuffs. Someone could bring my licence...he could have my wife’s licence...my boss could come and reason with him in Spanish. The inevitable answer came back that I could “pay” $20 for the ticket right there on the spot, he would let me go and this whole fiasco would disappear. The officer said it was the only way he could help me out. (In case you didn't pick it out – this cop was asking for a bribe. A very, very, very common experience with Nicaraguan police.)

Now, I knew to pay the bribe was the easiest way out and I admit it crossed my mind as I was starting pondering how nice those cells would be in the downtown station. I wasn't sure what to say back to him so I told him “I don't have any money officer, let me go talk to my wife”. He agreed and outside I went. April, to my surprise was actually laughing about the whole matter, not helping things for me (I do smile about it now though). She told me to stall as she had phoned Steve at the Nehemiah Centre, and he was coming along with someone to try and help out. Apparently, the police could in fact haul me to the downtown station and they could impound the car until I paid the fine.

So we stalled and I went back in to explain that my wife didn't have any money either. The officer was not happy to that news, but said we could go to the bank up the road to get money if we wanted. I said that we had no bank card and asked what else could be done. By now he had enough of the small talk and started to fill out the paper work needed to document what had happened. As soon as he started to write my name down in came Iskra (Nehemiah Centre employee and friend).

It was a big relief to see her, yet we weren't out of the woods yet. The officer now seemed embarrassed that he was being tested by another person. He put up quite the fuss with Iskra as she tried to persuade him to drop the pending charges. Because she was a Nica and could communicate with him in Spanish, more options became available to me. It wasn't until the final attempt (after about 5 minutes – felt like forever) that the officer agreed to lessen the charge and fine. Truly a blessing from God; and to quote Iskra, “Only by God's Grace”. I still received a fine for a whopping 100 cordobas ($5.00 American), to which I still have no idea what the charge was for.

Eagerly I jumped into Steve’s car and he drove me to the bank while Iskra and April waited with the car. I went inside to pay the ticket (as all tickets and bills in Nicaragua are paid at the bank) and walked back the short way to the road-side police building. It was a good feeling to show the officer the receipt! He gave me back the ownership for the car and I quickly walked out to get moving. Although the knees were still knocking from the experience, April made me drive the short distance to the Nehemiah Center.

I still can't believe it all happened, but that is how I almost ended up in a Nicaraguan jail!

13 comments:

Jacquie said...

You're right - makes for a GREAT blog post! April's chuckling made us chuckle too, actually. So glad it all ended well...and you'll have an "almost criminal record" to talk about for quite some time.

Hoping you can stay on the straight and narrow from here...

Anonymous said...

Fascinating! Glad you stayed out of jail, but wouldn't the story have been even more intriguing if you were able to describe the inside of a Nicaraguan jail cell?
mom

Anonymous said...

Sorry Kevin, but it's hard not to laugh about that one.
If April didn't have her camera I'm sure she was wishing that she did:)
G&S

Anonymous said...

LOL that was a great story. You will never forget your wallet again! Looking forward to seeing you again in June. Love reading your blogs. Aunt Caroline

Anonymous said...

Seriously? Seriously. Seriously?
Your "knees were clacking"? You, the guy with infinite luck when it comes to cars and getting out of scrapes like running out of gas at the same time as a guy with gas, didn't expect to get out of this one, too? If anyone would get out such a situation it would be you and April.
Seriously.
Lorraine

Anonymous said...

Well you did not have a "police officer" with you this time to help out!
I agree that you should have gone to the jail for a while to see what it was like. That would make for a great Blog Picture you know.

Well maybe a photo copy of your stuff hidden in the car some where would be helpful next time.

Have a great weekend.
Love You;
Roy V.

Anonymous said...

Ahahahaha. Even better than crossing that line last time.

Should've gotten Alma to argue with the police again. Haha.

My suggestion would be to either stopping breaking the law, or learn more small talk.

Jesse

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha
funny stuff
derek d

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are still having fun!! and that April is still chuckeling at your adventures....

Rod

NAnna said...

I love all the support you get in your time of distress--your wife, your family, your "friends". But I do have to agree now that you are still on this side of the jail cell door it does make for a very funny story

Lorraine Woodward said...

First of all, April is a girl after my own heart, because my first instinct when ANYTHING like this happens is to think, "I can't wait to blog about this!"

With that said, I am also cranky when in the middle of something stressful like this (such as when I got lost getting back on an exit recently) and the other person chuckling (as my brother was) only makes me angry.

I must be so behind on reading prayer letters--because I've just discovered your blog--but I'll be back!!!

Blessings,

Lorraine
(in Grand Rapids)

The Voorbergs said...

Well we are glad to hear that so many of you know what makes a great story! This past week (Semana Santa) there were loads of police out there...pretty much every 500m there would be a check point (only a slight exageration), but we are very proud to say that we didn't get pulled over once - not even for a routine check!!

C-noss said...

Ok, so I haven't read your blog in a few weeks, but T-racy told me about this and I had to read it. Hilarious! I can just see April laughing...actually i can visualize the whole thing. Kevin I see where you're comin' from too, I'd be scared to death. Still, this is a great story.