Friday, October 31, 2008

Once, Twice, Three times a...

As of today we have two weeks left of our spanish classes and therefore must be able to speak perfect spanish...okay not really, but that is what sometimes goes through our heads.

Since our work with the Nehemiah Center will heavily involve the language, are we a bit loco to think that two months of lessons will be enough? In part, probably, but we are starting to notice that there are certain things that a teacher cannot teach you in the classroom (sorry to our teacher sisters) that life and 'real' conversations will. Most of it comes down to practice, practice, practice...and that includes making mistakes - a lot of them.

My favourite experience (which happens often) is when I am into a conversation that I started and everything is going well. Suddenly the other person says something that I have NO CLUE about. So I calmly ask them to repeat themselves. Hmmmm...no. And one more time. Hmmmm...no. OK, now I start throwing out other possible Spanish words that they would have possibly meant, afterall, I just was in Spanish class and I should know what they were trying to say. Hmmmmm...OK, that was a definite no. I start getting skittish, and I am not about to let this one go, I need to learn this language. I glance around me. Where on earth is Kevin?? He always knows everything. His brain just soaks it in and he memorizes everything. No Kevin. I feel the heat come over me and I try one more time to understand this smiling, sweet person who is trying their hardest to be understood by me. Nope. This time certainly didn't work. So I laugh, shrug my shoulders and go on my way. All the while repeating in my head what they said. I finally find Kevin and tell him what the person says and he laughs and says "you know that. Come on it means 'this'. And suddenly the whole world makes sense again to me. I did know what that meant. Now I feel like going back to that person and explaining everything to them, but with my lack of Spanish, that could only make the whole world even messier.

If only that experience could happen just once I would still have my pride intact. But that's not a part of this process. Pride has nothing to do with it. Maybe at some point the fourth time will be the charm...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! That's funny because I can relate!

When we took our French Trip to Quebec City and Montreal, we were encouraged to speak French with them.

Unfortunately, more often than not, the French people would hear us bumbling our way through the language and either start speaking English to us, or leave to find someone who could.

It was a bit depressing, but I find that even the simplest of conversations in that second (or third) language can be very encouraging, and make you feel like you actually know stuff.

Hope you guys are well!

Jesse Hook

P.S. YP's are fasting all of tomorrow. That should be exciting.

Anonymous said...

Oh! and a few of the people who said that Leon was North West of the city was me.

I voted on both of our computers, and I think on the Steiginga's computer when I showed them that beach or guitar video.

Jesse

Anonymous said...

Hey there; Don't give up on your Spanish yet. All of a sudden it will click in and you will be away to the races, for sure.

Love Roy

Anonymous said...

Hang in there April! One of these days you'll find yourself having dreams in Spanish. OK, maybe nightmares ;-)....but it means your subconscious has been absorbing it even while YOU are getting frustrated with it. You have to admit, though, it is a beauatiful language. Ahhhh, que lynda!!

Marjorie