Tuesday, September 23, 2008

First Impressions

Tuesday, September 23

Spanish is tough slugging. It's only been two days, I know, but it feels like two weeks, or two months at times.

Our time here has been amazing though.

To say that I love the culture wouldn’t be correct, because really when it comes down to it I don’t even know the culture yet. This is what I know so far of the culture: 1) on buses if we think they are full – they are not, there is still enough room for more people and you just might end up holding someone elses baby. 2) there is no personal space. 3) if you want to be first in line, then you are the one that has to make the move, because no one else is going to step aside to let you in for your ”turn”. 4) People make eye contact on the street – and it’s okay! 5) Our host mom already wants me to become “la gorda” – ummm, fat. I guess that’s good thing because that means I’m not right now! However, according to her, Kevin will not...lucky guy. And she just laughs as she says it because she would love me for it! 6) Sports transcends all languages – talking about it that is. Last night I witnessed Kevin have the longest conversation ever in Spanish, with our house brother...one would name off a sport and the other a team and there would be grunts or “yaaas” or “siiiis”. And then there would be a list of athletes’ names and more grunts and siiis. Then one of them would bring up another team and they would go all over again. Then another sport would be brought up and they would go through the same sequence of groans and shouts and siiiis...and here I would always tease Kevin for being thoroughly knowledgeable in the sports department, I guess I just ate my words.
“God save the queen” is blasting right now, “We are the champions” was just on...oh, now it’s the Village People and they are shouting along with it! I love these vibrant people!

Kevin has his own blog post that is up so I won’t steal away any of his juicy tidbits. Adios!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy I thought you went there to do some work, but all you do is sleep and party, what is with that??

Dad V.

An and Derek said...

Sounds like you 2 are having an amazing time learning more and embracing the culture there!
Neat that you guys have a blog for while you're there.
We're thinking and praying for you!
~Andrea

p.s. Is it ok if I give out your blog address in the Oct. newsletter for people to check out?