Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Top Ten

I know we are taking more and more time between our blog posts. For the moment I will use the excuse that for the past 3, almost 4 weeks, we have had both April's and my parents here for visits.

A friend of ours sent a email update recently of her recent activities in Africa, and in it she gave a top ten of here first month or so there in Uganda. It inspired me to put a list together for myself. I could probably put together a top 100 but feel that 10 will be long enough. Before I get to that we just want to say thank you to all those who have been checking out the blog and supporting us.

My Top Ten (in no particular order):

1. The Sea to Sea Nicaragua bike tour (bikenica.wordpress.com). What an incredible journey. As I wrote before this included, for me, a lot of organizing and logistical work. I was able to grow in make many new freindships with other people involved both riders and support crew. More than all of this I was able to see God bless this trip like only He could. We started with a goal of raising $100,000.00 and finished with a total of almost $ 280,000.00!!!

2. I have been blessed with the ability to spend so much time with my amazing wife, April. Not many couples are given the opportunity to live and learn together in such a situation as this. It has been some hard work for sure I won' t lie, but we are closer than I could have ever imagined.

3. The beaches are pretty FANTASTIC and very accessible!!

4. Learning another language is a difficult task, but increibdly rewarding. I will forever appreciate anyone learning to speak another language for I now know how humbling of an experience it is.

5. Nicaraguan Coffee - no need to say more.

6. Time to read. I have never been the biggest reader, but I think that was due to never finding time to fit it into my life in Burlington. Now there is time, and I am taking advantage of it. There is an amazing library selection here at the home we are house sitting. My favorite book so far has been "Mere Christianity" By the inspiring C.S. Lewis.

7. Going to Verbo Church here in Managua has been a huge encouragement in so many ways. It has helped me with Spanish as all sermons and songs are obviously in Spanish. I am able to observe and learn from the Nicaraguans a free and beautiful way of worship that would be impossible to find at home. Finally it has made us feel part of a rooted community here in Managua.

8. The Fish Filet with jalapeno sauce lunch at the Pulido's Cafe (the family April and I lived with in Leon for two months). It is a full plate with fresh fish, rice, beans, salad, and tortilla all complete with a fresh fruit drink for about $1.50.

9. The emails sent by all of you our supporters. Everything from emails to comments on this blog to Christmas cards sent in the mail. It is such an awesome feeling to recieve them and many times has kept us going on some of those tiring days.

10. I have had the privalige to see more of this country than most Missionaries and ex-pats have in 10 year terms here. I have been North, East, South, and West...and am continuing to explore. The best way to learn and understand something is by putting yourself in different places, experiencing everything for yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your spanish is amazing for sure. i don't think I could have learned as much in such a short time as you both have. It was fun to see you in action with the new learned skill.

Roy