Monday, August 22, 2011

Cup o Joe

I am finally sitting down here in front of the computer after my little Screamer has decided to stop screaming and start sleeping.  I know I only have up to an hour before she decides to let me know that she's awake again, so I figured I better make myself a cup of coffee and enjoy the peaceful moment.  Ahh, coffee.  Today I am brewing my current favourite a Fair Trade Nicaraguan blend.  It's mainly my favourite because of what these particular coffee beans mean to me.  It's not quite as strong as I would prefer, so I add a little bit of espresso to the filter and voila, a good cup of joe.

My latest summer time drink is the iced coffee.  Not sure why I didn't think of it last summer, but this year it dawned on me that it is a brilliant summer drink.  It just means I have to have ice in the freezer at all times, so when I was at Ikea last I picked up a couple bpa free icecube trays that makes cubes that look like fishies - couldn't resist. Well, in the morning I still have my hot cup of coffee or two when Aletta is down for her nap, so I just brew up about 6 cups and turn off the coffee maker (coffee makers use a lot of energy, and I am super frugal). 

freshly brewed iced coffee...mmmmm...
Often I don't get around to my second cup of coffee, so later on in the afternoon I pull out a glass put some sugar in the bottom, our over the nicely cooled, leftover coffee, throw in some ice cubes, and a bit of milk and voila, my perfect iced coffee for me to sip on while sitting on the porch while Aletta sucks away on a peach.  I know, it all sounds so romantical, but it's actually not!  Usually there is squealing and screaming, Lego barking, me yelling, and finally I just sit my butt down and I realize that I can't stop anything from happening and I might as well enjoy the sunshine and my nice glass of iced coffee.  OK, the Screamer is screaming now and she has only slept 30 minutes...when, oh when, will this possibly change??

1 comment:

Tracy said...

mmm- iced coffee! like you, i think about making iced coffee but haven't gotten around to it this summer. just reading your description of this makes me want to give it a try! Or maybe just head out over the border to try your version and hang out on your porch with the Screamer :)